On 7 May 2020, further directions were issued in terms of Section 27(2)(f) of the Disaster Management Act No 57 of 2002. In terms of Section 2, the purpose of these directions under level 4, is to facilitate –
- The movement of persons and goods, where –
- New lease agreements were entered into before or during the lockdown period; or
- The transfer of immovable property occurred before the lockdown period,
Requires a change in place of residence, including the transport of goods to a new place of residence, within the Republic.
Should you meet the requirements as set out above, this allows for a once-off movement of persons who are relocating to their new place of residence. This window period will end on 7 June 2020 and will only be operational as long as lockdown remains at level 4. Should lockdown move back to level 5, this will fall away.
There are, however, limitations to this movement. Coupled with only being allowed to move goods that are household furniture and effects, a person wishing to take advantage of this window period must –
- Obtain a permit to travel across provincial, metropolitan or district boundaries from the station commander of a police station or a person designated by him or her;
- Indicate the people who are part of the household who will also be moving; and
- Have in your possession the relevant lease agreement showing the date of expiry of the old lease and the date of commencement of the new lease. Or, if your move is dues to the purchase of immovable property, you will need to have in your possession the transfer documents that indicate the change in ownership of the property.